Self Introductory Letter

Dear Professor Brad,

My name is Celine Chong from your effective communication class and I am writing this self introductory letter is for you to get to know more about me. I am currently a year 1 student at Singapore Institute of Technology studying sustainable infrastructure engineering. Upon graduating from Temasek Polytechnic with a diploma in green building and sustainability, I have chosen the path to continue further studies relating to this engineering field. Throughout my 3 year course study in the polytechnic, I have discovered my passion and interests for building information modelling (BIM) which brings my attention to what this course offers. I found myself fond of working with BIM in school and even applied my acquired knowledge and skills to my final year project. Hence, I chose to study this course to keep me inspired in my future career decisions.

Coming into my strengths, I have the creativity to generate and develop ideas as well as constantly seeking out new learning opportunities. Being detail-oriented and diligent in my work are also my strengths. In terms of communication, I am also more comfortable speaking in a smaller group. However, my weaknesses are my languages, as I lack confidence speaking fluently, often feel hesitant to say something, and bad at expressing myself in proper words so it all leads to insecurities and lack of confidence.

What I wish to achieve from this effective communication module is to improve on my public speaking skills and my ability to become an engaging communicator. Also, concerning my writing skills, I need to make use of more sophisticated vocabulary to stand out. I believe there is always room for improvement and knowing I can learn from my mistakes. With the change in attitude, it can become a success.


Yours sincerely,

Celine Chong SIE2020 Group 3

Read Dexter’s, Kei Man’s, Shimin's letter.

Revised 5th December 2020

Comments

  1. being detail-orientated is a key attributes of being a successful engineer by ensuring the result generated is precise and accurate a unique skill i feel all engineer should have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Celine,

      I found your letter interesting and unique. I was able to learn and understand the passion you have and get to know you better.

      Here are some after thought upon reading your letter, first you describe yourself as "detail orientated". I personally feel its a rare attribute to make your report much more interesting you should give us example/task you did or explain to the audience what is it meant by detail orientated.

      firstly paragraph one, the content was very smooth and detail which really capture my attention while I was reading through your blog post. You wrote precise detail about your educational background and your passion of being an engineer. what I feel that you can improve on for paragraph one, keeping it shorter so you can make use of the remaining words to focus on your strength and weakness.

      Secondly for paragraph 2, it would be great if you could share with us by giving example on your strength and weakness. it forms a connection with the audience that are reading through your post

      Before I end off , I would like say that your blog post was unique among all the blog post I have read. You really caught my attention when you mention in your post that being detail orientated. With that mindset and passion, it will definitely propel you to do well in school.

      your sincerely
      dexter

      Delete
  2. Interestingly, you learnt BIM in your diploma too. Hoping we can share the experience next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the effort with this letter, Celine. I look forward to reading more detailed feedback from your blogging group members, and I will comment after that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Celine,

      It was a pleasure reading your letter, and through this letter, I was able to learn more about you as a person and as a friend. I am writing to share with you on my thoughts for your letter.

      Firstly, regarding the content for your letter, I feel that your first paragraph should be shorter, where you could share with us your name, who you are, and the purpose of writing this letter. In the subsequent paragraph, you could share with us more information about yourself. However, the content that you shared with us has met the requirement that was given to us, it allowed me to learned more about you.

      Secondly, for the organisation of your letter, I feel that the flow of your letter for your second paragraph regarding your strength can be used to further expand your passion and interest for building information modelling (BIM).

      Lastly, for language wise, before I start, I was surprised to know the fact that we came from the same polytechnic, and it was nice knowing that you managed to carry on with your passion for green building and sustainability in our course, I noticed that you did not capitalise ‘Temasek Polytechnic with a diploma in green building and sustainability’, I believe that after introducing that it is a course from Temasek Polytechnic, you may capitalise ‘diploma in green building and sustainability’’ I would like to say that I also have huge interest for building information modelling after coming across it in my polytechnic days, and I can relate to how you feel, for ‘Building information modeling’, the word modelling I noticed that you have missed out a letter ‘I’ in the word ‘modelling’. And for the sentence ‘I have creativity to generate and develop ideas as well as’, I would recommend to add the word ‘the’ into the sentence, ‘I have the creativity to generate and develop ideas as well as.

      Before I end off, I would like to say that your letter was interesting, knowing the reason why choose to join sustainable infrastructure engineering was due to the passion for building information modelling, with that passion of yours, it will definitely propel you to do better in this course.

      Yours Sincerely,
      Bryan Lim

      Delete
    2. Dear Bryan,

      Thank you for your clear and concise feedback. I will take into consideration about the language mistakes that I made and improve on it in my future assignments.

      Regards,
      Celine Chong

      Delete
  5. Dear Celine,

    Thanks for this well written letter. You do a fine job covering the various assignment requirements, and you do so in a clear concise fashion. I'm happy to learn that you truly have a growth mindset, looking for opportunities to develop your skills.

    In terms of language use, this post is fluent, but there are a few areas in this letter that you can improve:

    1. verb tense
    -- Throughout my 3 year course in polytechnic, I have discovered my passion and interests for building information modelling (BIM) which brings my attention to what this course offers. > (past or present?)

    2. sentence structure
    -- Being detail-orientated and diligent in my work are also my strengths. > (fragment)

    I look forward to reading more of your writing.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Prof Brad,

      Thank you for your feedback. I will take into consideration of the language use adjustments that you have pointed out. I will continue to work on it in my future assignments.

      Regards,
      Celine Chong

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LTA Impact Study : Summary & Reader's Response (Revised)

Annotated Summary